This boy

Before I had kids I'd hear people describe the stage where "they are always asking questions." Sometimes this was further described as "annoying." Annoying?? How wonderful!, I thought. To see their little minds reaching for knowledge! To be an agent of enlightment, expanding their understanding! How could it be annoying to watch a child's growth in this way?

I maintained this position, for the most part, until Sebastian became verbal.

(I have become more compassionate towards many parental attitudes, since giving birth to this child.)

He is ALWAYS, ALWAYS asking me something. I don't mind the
questions like, "Why does it get cold in the winter?" or "How does the dishwasher work?" or "Where does Jesus sleep?"

But there are so many, many other questions. Half the time I don't understand them: "What is that white thing for?" "What white thing?" "[angrily] The whiiiite thing on the baaaack of the whiiiiite thing!!!!!" "The back of what white thing?" "I said, the whiiiiiite thing, MOMMMEE!"

Or they are just an excuse for an
argument. "Why is it called dinner, I don't WANT it to be called dinner! It's NOT called dinner, Mommy!"

Or they are endlessly repetitive. "What are you doing Mommy?" "I'm beating up the eggs." "Are you beating up the eggs?" "Yes." "Is that what you're doing, Mommy, beating up the eggs?" ---[repeat ad infinitum]

Or they are just plain ODD: "Why is there an eight-seven-eighty-forty-green-bean?" or
"Why is there a power?"

I sometimes have the hardest time staying patient. And I feel bad, because I know he gets just as frustrated as I do, poor guy. And he's still the cutest little monkey (Even as I'm writing these things down, they are starting to sound cute instead of annoying to me). I guess I just have to try to enjoy (and laugh at) this stage while it lasts.

2 comments

  1. I have said it before and I'll say it again: Seb and Soph are two of a kind. I'd like to congratulate you on handling him gracefully. Keep blogging--I need the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Mar, but Seb is hilarious! But I know how you feel. Lydia just finished telling me the entire move that she watched in school today, scene by scene, in great detail. And I was CLEARLY in the middle of cleaning. I just nodded and laughed when it seemed appropriate and my mind was thinking, "What should I make for dinner? When will Seth be home? WHAT is she talking about?" At least you pay close enough attention to be able to write about these things later!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top