What Sam Thinks

1. Talking with Sam yesterday, I discovered something very odd. I was telling him that I had gotten hurt by something "right on the bottom of my fingernail." (By this I meant, Position B) But HE thought I meant Position A! Not understanding how position A could be described by any stretch of the imagination as "the bottom of the fingernail," I probed further. And learned that he labels the parts of the hand as follows:

D: The "tip" (but not the "top") of the finger

E: The bottom of the finger ("the top" of the finger, to him, is the entire other side; what I would call "the back")

A: The bottom of the fingernail

B: The top of the fingernail (however, he prefers the "top" and "bottom" designations to refer to depth; i.e. what normal people would call "under" the fingernail, Sam would call "the bottom"---see also E, above)

C: "If pressed," Sam says, "I suppose I'd call this the 'root' of the finger."


4. This is awesome

5. This is a good idea

2 comments

  1. I just ended up on a 10 min web excursion trying to figure out what the heck was up with "dr. chevalier" and I decided it's pretty awesome too.

    But I'm wondering, who taught Sam his hand anatomy? Is he really from outer space maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of that test where you ask someone to look at their fingernails--the idea being that a man will generally look at his nails by turning his palms up and cupping the fingers while a woman more commonly spreads her hands flat out in front of hrt. Maybe Sam's top/bottom confusion stems from this tendency. No idea.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top