Cupcakes and cake wrecks

Oh, this little beauty? Yes, it's a monkey. A monkey cake. A cute monkey cake that Sam and I made for a lovely party given by my friend Beth. The theme? Cake wrecks, as seen on this popular blog. We were supposed to bring a tribute to or re-creation of one of the cakes on the blog. Sam and I were both particularly taken with this cake:

which was supposed to be a "happy monkey like Curious George." Well, obviously. And we are also fond of this one:

which kind of speaks for itself. ("It a gril!")

So we spent an afternoon lovingly crafting our tribute:

We used one round cake and several cupcakes, and it turned out quite nicely, I must say. It even tasted good. And speaking of tasting good, Beth and her sister-in-law Megan really outdid themselves with the cupcakes at the party. They had a "cupcake bar" where you could frost cupcakes in various combinations (banana-caramel! chocolate-cherry! cream-cheese chocolate chip! etc.) and they were really good. I may have to become a cupcake fan, after all. And don't even get me started on Beth's soups! They were, truly, fantastic.

It a gril!

3 comments

  1. This is sooooo funny! I love it. Please please please can I come if you ever do this again!?? The cake wrecks blog if fabulous and is now on my reader. Come to think of it this would have made one slammin' ward activity!

    Speaking of that did you see the video of my kids that was on my blog a few weeks ago? That was our entry in the 3rd annual Slate 8 film festival--and we won!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, obviously I'm not going to get around to blogging about it, so I'm glad you did. I'll email you the soup recipes someday, I'm sure. And I still can't get the cupcake bar out of my head. All those cupcakes and all those frostings. And while I thought I totally had the perfect plan for how to make a great cupcake - soft and moist, moist, moist, I actually preferred the cupcakes Megan made because they had a tiny bit of a crust to them, which balanced well with the soft, fluffy, salty and yummy frosting. She outdoes me everytime, which would upset me if I didn't get to pig out on what she makes. As it is, I think I'll just keep giving her huge food assignments to bring to my house, whether I'm going to have a party that night or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cake! This is Shara - the receiver of the original "Curious George" cake. You did a wonderful job of re-creating my wreck. My son is no longer horrified of the cake and now thinks the hub-bub is quite "cool".

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top