A dentist for all seasons

I don't really have a fear of going to the dentist or anything. I like getting my teeth cleaned and I've never had to have anything too painful done, so I don't mind the visit itself. But generally, I just don't like dentists. For some reason I've been to a lot of different ones (well, I know the reason: it's because I never like them, so the next time I always want to try someone else) and I've never liked any of them.

Well, I went to a new dentist yesterday, and I liked him! And here is why.
  • He was older than me. By more than a few years.
  • He was not some young, gleaming-toothed, All-American male model that gets his hair highlighted and has pictures all over his office of his wife (blond) and three strapping designer sons (also blond) dressed in coordinating Banana Republic clothing and baring their own gleaming white teeth at you in faintly alarming semblances of smiles.
  • He did not say, "You know, you are a candidate for braces yourself." [He did say, with professional enthusiasm, "It's a pleasure to see such a nice healthy set of teeth, young lady!"]
  • He did not call Abraham "buddy." Or "bud." ( I think he called him "sir," actually. "Hello, sir. Are you getting excited for Christmas?")
  • He did not discuss his upcoming golf game/boating trip/rock-climbing trip/cruise to Mexico with his assistant while working on my teeth. (He did say, "I got gas for $1.27 today! I just about jumped for joy!")
  • He did not turn all the cleaning over to his "hygienist" and merely make a cursory appearance at the end to tell me to prepare myself for Abe's orthodontic work in the future. (He did the cleaning himself, in fact.)
  • He did not keep up a steady stream of questions/observations that required comment from me which I was unable to provide due to, hello, my mouth being full of metal instruments and that little water-sprayer thing they use. (He worked in a lovely, calming silence, for the most part.)
And his office is just a few blocks away! It was wonderful. I think I will actually stick with this guy!

UPDATE: You're right, Chelsea; I should post his name. But I can't remember it. Maybe Sam does? The place is called "Daybreak Family Dental." Phone number (801) 260-0400.

UPDATE II: Dr. Jenkins!! M. Douglas Jenkins. How do I know this? He sent us a little thank-you card in the mail. "I enjoyed getting to know all of you. Your family certainly have great teeth! I look forward to serving your dental needs in the future." I TOLD you he was awesome!

5 comments

  1. reading this post reminded me of the reasons I dislike dentists as well. I'm so glad that you found one you like. My sister in law is marrying a dentist and i'm not excited about it (not that he's not a nice guy--he is. but he's a dentist.) I'm just afraid that now he'll be watching my mouth all the time thinking of how ugly and stained my teeth are and how I shouldn't be eating that snickers in the corner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about my problem: I LOVE my dentist: he's bubbly, fat, hilarious and local (and I get a discount), but he doesn't do that great of work and his hygenist is a flossing MONSTER (me, crying a little), if not complimentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This man is perfect. Never leave him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to share the gentleman's name, or do the other dissatisfied dental customers just have to envy you? For the record, my dentist is just about perfect. His only downside is that he is ALWAYS booked 9+ months in advance. So if I move up your direction I'll be looking for a reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always hate the flossing, too. They always assign me the former German assassin that still longs for her days of wrapped steel wire around enemy neck.

    Afterward they counsel me, while my gums bleed, that if I were to floss more often my gums could stand up to Brunhilde's punishment.
    How often do I have to floss for that, thrice hourly?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top