Spirit of the Season

Do you have certain music that makes you cry because it's so beautiful? I have quite a few CDs that will occasionally strike me as the "best" or the "right" thing for a given mood, and occasionally one of them will really make me respond emotionally---but I tell you, this CD here, the MoTab with Sissel, is one of the best of all time. I had forgotten how much I loved it until we got it out as we decorated our Christmas Tree yesterday. The first song on there, "Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella" has ruined all other versions of that song for me because it's so stirring and urgent and joyful--now other arrangements seem too tame in comparison. And then the second song, "The Wexford Carol", is sung by this guy who has the most wonderful voice, accompanied by a cool Celtic-sounding flute, and I love the words and music SO much. Those two are my favorites, but then I listen to the other songs and decide that THEY are my favorites as well. Sissel (the soloist) has such a hauntingly lovely voice. It is mesmerizing to listen to. Last night we could hardly make ourselves go to bed because we wanted to just keep listening.

I actually went to the concert a couple years ago where this was recorded, and it was amazing---so I was afraid it wouldn't be as good on a recording---but it is. And I thought that after a few times listening through I would stop being so affected by the music, but the boys and I have been cleaning the house and singing along, and even though normal everyday things are going on, I keep getting emotional---all choked up and teary. (I had to tell Abe, "It's just that the music is so beautiful, and sometimes that makes me cry.")

1 comment

  1. I'll have to go buy this. I've been to past Mormon Tab Christmas concerts, but I didn't see this performance -- I had no idea what I was missing. I'm anxious to increase our Christmas music repertoire. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top