No devil's workshop here


I love General Conference.  You would think, if I loved it so much, I wouldn't have a hard time staying awake---but I do.  It's not that I'm not interested, but I'm just tired, so tired.  (This has been true for as many years as I have loved Conference, I think.  Since High School, maybe.)  Anyway, several years ago I learned that I can get through the entire [ha, first I accidentally typed "entired"---entired---get it, get it?] eight hours without falling asleep---if I have some work to do with my hands.  Taking notes isn't good enough, since I'm not writing constantly the whole time.  But crocheting is perfect---just mindless enough to let me concentrate on listening, but involved enough to keep me awake.

This discovery has been almost miraculous for me.  I love being able to pay attention to the talks without having to constantly prod myself awake, feeling remorseful, but exhausted, the whole time.  And for some reason my mind doesn't wander nearly as much when I keep my hands busy. 

Over the years, I've made a couple blankets, and a sweater for my mom (NOT very good---sleeves too long), and a bunch of little-girl purses.  But my favorite thing to crochet is tiny baby sweaters.  I can usually get one done in a weekend, which makes me feel like I've accomplished something.  I've sort of run out of babies to make sweaters for at the moment, though (or else they live in hot climes---or I'm afraid their parents are too fashion-forward to like them) so this year I made hats.  Hats!  Why didn't I think of it before?  Fast and easy (and eared---the baby ones, at least).  Love it.  I love crocheting in general but I especially love HATS.  I might even decide to crochet them more often than semi-annually.  (If you or someone you love needs a HAT, let me know.)

In case you're interested, Sam also needs something to keep him busy/awake during conference.  Here is what he did this year:


Cool, right?  (If you or someone you love needs to know the properties of light as it reflects off of different materials, let him know.)  In the meantime, cast your eyes upon this Daisy girl wearing a HAT:

6 comments

  1. I couldn't agree more. I worked on knitting a hat during conference this year, and it was an awesome way to stay alert. Plus, you get to feel productive. I'm totally impressed with the amount you got done. I knitted all four hours on Sunday, but I'm still not done with my hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. The sight of Daisy in a little eared hat is the most adorable thing i've ever seen. Is knitting hard? Because in my mind it seems absolutely impossibly hard. Maybe you could teach me. Or maybe I could just make babies to wear your hats. Those hats are almost enough to entice me to have a baby. And that's saying A LOT since I'm at the point where I can never envision having a baby ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny. I spent conference making Linaya a hat and matching poncho. Imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sight of sweet Daisy has made my rotten day just melt away. Thank you!!! And those hats are just adorable. Do you have one in Max's size? You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a crochet or knit kind of gal during conference. That's when I made my Halloween decor. Plus, I took notes on the side. That's right. crochet and notes.

    Love the hats. Your kids look stunning in your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knitting is much easier than you'd think. Rachel took it up, and I did too, and we've made some cool animals, some - admittedly - with issues (http://rubowhappenings.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-find-this-udderly-perplexing.html) Oh - wait maybe it won't take the link. drat. Anyway, that's how I always do conference. This time, soldering little glass things. Or I do sculpy, or beaded things. Love it. But nothing I have ever made is as cute as that Daisy girl.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top