Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

A little while ago I was looking in my freezer and found a pie crust in a ziploc bag.  Since I didn't recall making pie crust in the recent past (in fact I realized that this had been made last time I posted about pie crust, which was December!) I decided I'd better see if it was still good.  It was!  Delicious, in fact.  And I made what has long been my favorite pie.  Or one of my favorite pies.  My mom swore off making this pie when we were little.  We had it once or twice and then she declared it "too rich."  But it isn't, not really.  I adjusted the recipe a little so it would be not quite as gooey-buttery (but still, quite sufficiently gooey), and so it would have a little more fluffiness and less oiliness.  Slice it thin and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it's as delicious as you could wish for.  The top forms a chewy, caramely crust that is UNBELIEVEABLY good, and then there is the soft buttery filling beneath, and the melted chocolate, all underpinned by that delicate, flaky bottom crust.  It's just the thing to cheer up a cold day.  Like today.

We call it Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie.  Or my brother (he always has to be contrary; he called our cat Pussywillow "Ivan" for the duration of that cat's life) calls it "Chocolate Chip Cake Pie."  I don't know why.  I suppose it's really "Toll House Pie," but what information does that give you?  None.  Or worse, misleading information.  Do you have pay a toll to eat this pie?  Or live in a house?  You do not.  Or maybe it takes its toll on you by making you as big as a house.  But don't think of that; just think of:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

1 unbaked pie crust (use this recipe)

½ c. butter, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla
3/4 c. flour or so (about 5 oz.)
1/4 t. salt
2 T. milk
1-1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips*

Heat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugars; add eggs. Beat in vanilla, flour, and salt. Blend in milk (filling may look a little lumpy), then stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour filling into prepared pie shell and smooth it with a spoon. Bake for about 50 min. When done, top will be dark golden brown and filling will be set except for the very center, which may jiggle when you tap the pan. Serve warm, with ice cream.  Or it is also quite delicious cold, sliced and picked up and eaten with your hands like a cookie.

*If you want, you can stir the chocolate chips together with the dry ingredients first, before adding them to the egg mixture.  This is supposed to coat the chips with flour and make them less likely to sink to the bottom of the pie.  But it doesn't really work that well.  Maybe it helps a little, but they still don't distribute throughout the pie evenly.  Anyway, I kind of like the two-layer look myself, so I usually don't bother.

(Another pie, warmer.  More chocolate chips in this one.  I like both ways.)

9 comments

  1. You are a bad, bad person.

    Nothing personal. But you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to eat my computer screen right now because that pie looks so good and I don't know if I have the time to make it right now. Dang you Marilyn. And bless you at the same time.

    This blog is a national treasure. it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.
    And while I'd like to say I'm going to be like you someday, I know I'm not.
    But your blogging and cooking amazes me, and now I'm going to go eat three handfuls of chocolate chips and maybe a spoonful of caramel dessert topping instead of making your pie.
    But I'll probably make it in the future because I won't be able to get it out of my mind until I do.
    ranticks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you also increase the dough or leavening amount for the second pie? I feel like you did something else to make it taller, but maybe it was just the chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam: I did increase the amounts in the recipe, but only because I was using my largest pie pan. The recipe is scaled for a 9-inch pie pan, I think, and I was using a 10.5-inch. But I do like to cream the butter and sugar (using softened butter) rather than using _melted_ butter as some recipes call for. This contributes to a fluffier, less oily final product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMMM when can I make this??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which brother did you highlight here? I'd venture a guess, but all your brothers are contrary teases. And I mean that in the best way.

    Also, I so wish I was your neighbor so i could dash over and help myself to this pie!!

    uleramus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth:

    LOLOLOLOLOLOL


    my safety word was: lasessua

    At first, I thought it was lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth:

    LOLOLOLOLOLOL


    my safety word was: lasessua

    At first, I thought it was lasagna.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top