Lentil and Barley Soup

Since April seems determined to remain wintry, I'm posting a nice warm soup recipe for you.  But I'm afraid it won't sound as delicious as it is.  Does anyone besides me get excited about lentils and barley?  Oh, but they're so good.  And you know how much I like to make soup---the easiest meal there is.  This soup has a slight Indian flavor from the coriander, and reminds me of Allison's Dal Makhini.  ("And very good it is---DAL.")  We love it with yogurt on top, and fresh cilantro if we have it.  I hope you like it too! 

Lentil and Barley Soup

1 onion, chopped
3/4 carrots, chopped into rounds
1 sweet red pepper, chopped (opt.)
1 c. lentils (any color)
1 c. pearl barley
1 c. split peas/green lentils
2 cans any kind of beans (I like black)
2 cans tomato sauce
10 c. water
2-4 cubes beef boullion (or use beef broth for liquid)
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. coriander*

Saute onions, carrot, and pepper in a little olive oil.  Add water and boullion.  Stir in lentils, barley, and split peas.  Add tomato sauce and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.  Serve with plain yogurt and fresh chopped cilantro on top.

*I'm still experimenting with the seasonings in this soup.  Next time I'm going to put a little yellow curry paste in with the oil.  I also think it might be good with some turmeric or cumin instead of the oregano.  But the coriander adds a great, fresh, almost lemony (?) flavor, so I wouldn't leave that out.

1 comment

  1. I have all of these ingredients so I think this is a must try this weekend! Looks wonderful!

    xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top