King Arthur Flour (white whole wheat flour)

I'm about to post some wheat bread recipes, and I realized my thoughts on the flour brand should maybe go in a separate post.  I had heard of King Arthur Flour before, as kind of an accepted "best flour" in the baking industry.  Lots of people swear by it.  (They have a great baking blog also.) It comes in all kinds, but I was most interested in their White Whole Wheat Flour because it's supposed to be a softer, lighter-rising flour that PERFORMS more like white flour in recipes.  (White whole wheat is an albino wheat---it tastes less "bitter" [although I don't think it's bitter] than traditional red whole wheat, but is nutritionally just the same.) 

I have really liked this flour, but I don't know that it's so much the King Arthur brand, as just the white wheat that's so great.  I'll test that when I have a wheat grinder and can grind my own white wheat flour. (I cannot find any other commerical white-wheat flours in the store, but they sell bags of white wheat grains at Macey's and Lehi Roller Mills, I think.)  I've used the KAF all-purpose and red wheat flours, and with those I don't notice a substantial difference from my usual brands.  In fact in a side-by-side test of the basic artisan bread, I preferred my Western Family white flour to the KAF white flour.  But I have yet to do a side-by-side test of how the KAF all-purpose flour performs in, say, cookies, compared to other brands of flour.  It may be that it is better---some people certainly think so. 

I do definitely prefer the KAF white whole wheat for my basic weekly wheat bread recipe, but as I said, the KAF brand may be less important than the fact that it's white-wheat.

One of the best things about the white whole wheat is the way it works in baked goods, even besides bread---like brownies or cookies.  In many recipes, you can do nearly a straight subsitution of white wheat for white all-purpose---certainly you could use half---without even noticing a difference.  This can really boost the nutrition of baked goods, as you can imagine, and for this reason I think I may add KAF white-wheat to my rotation of foods to buy (at least till I get a wheat grinder)---in spite of its high price tag. (Can usually get it for $3.89 or so, on sale at Smith's, for a 5-lb bag.)  Because of the cost, it won't be the only flour I use, but I like it a lot and will use it when I can.

2 comments

  1. Marilyn, thanks so much for trying our flour - and for taking the time to write about it. I think the biggest difference you'd find would be long-term - our flour is milled to the tightest specs in the industry. Week to week, month to month, year to year, when you open a bag of King Arthur you'll know you're getting exactly what you got every other time you used it: quality, consistency, purity. The other big national brands can't match us for consistency, I guarantee that. Thanks again for giving us a try, and I hope you do sample the AP in cookies, etc. Enjoy! PJ Hamel, King Arthur baker/blogger, on behalf of my fellow 167 employee-owners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my mother and I can both thank you for all you research. We are going to try this new recipe!!!! So, yeah, thanks!!! Beautiful pictures by the way.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top