A yellow petticoat and a green gown

from Mother Goose, The Original Volland Edition (1915), edited and arranged by Eulalie Osgood Grover and illustrated by Frederick Richardson
Daffy Down Dilly
Has come to town
In a yellow petticoat
And a green gown.

Do you know that nursery rhyme?  I told you there would be more daffodils!  These are also from Red Butte Garden.  (That links to their "What's Blooming" blog, but frankly you are going to get better pictures here: they need to update more often.  I wish I could have that job!!)  I couldn't get over how many there were!  And all SO beautiful!
"You probably don't need to get a picture of EVERY variety," said Sam (gently) as I stopped and exclaimed over each one. :)  But there were so many different kinds!  Look at the one on the top left, with the extra-long nose!  (I think it's actually called a "throat," but I prefer "nose.")  And the tiny ones at the right of that top row are so sweet!  I also like the frilly one on the middle left, and isn't the opposite-colored one (2nd from right, bottom row) interesting?  And I like the snub-nosed orangey ones on the botttom right.  All of them are SO lovely!  I do love the traditional gold ones best, I think, but I love them all.
The gold+green color combination is so stunning en masse!

I love this---browns, with the pale pink set off so delicately among them!
A real Hyacinth Garden!  You could almost see the scent of them in the air.  Heavenly.
Star magnolia with daffodils.  I have one of these trees.  Such lacy white blossoms!  Again, set off beautifully against the filigree of the brown branches behind.
Evening sun through the daffodils.  Makes them glow like little suns themselves.
Chortling.
This section goes right up into the foothills.  I love the contrast of cultivation and wilderness.  But really, the daffodils look quite at home among the rocks.  They are a such a brave, cheerful, tenacious flower, I think!  They must have evolved their deer-resistance so they could grow in wild areas.
I love this picture.  Boys running ahead excitedly, eager to see what's around the next bend.  And golden evening light through the barely-awakening trees.
Another abundant hillside.  And those silent trees on top, keeping watch.
You can see, can't you, why yellow is my favorite color?  It glows from within.  And the delicate, fluted edge on that daffodil's "nose"!  It looks like a tissue paper silhouette snipped with tiny, delicate scissors, or like a lace hem peeking out under a skirt.  So lovely!!

4 comments

  1. I have NEVER wanted to nibble and cuddle and tickle a kid (including my own) as much as your Malachi. Too bad he's too busy for such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so lovely Marilyn! Thanks for sharing. It's making up for the fact that spring may never really show up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are actually Narcissus. And Charlotte says that the name is actually "David's flower," as in star of David. You won't find this in the common etymological discussions because it would have come through the Welsh somehow = Daffod. The common etymologies assume the word comes through the French. I wonder if we looked into Hebrew if we might find out more. I like the smaller kind, with the fluted, color-edged trumpets, or the yellow with the white trumpet.

    Today, whatever color they are, they're wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful pictures. I especially love the chortling one.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top